20220818

I am widely known at Google and Microsoft, by some not-so-nice nicknames.

It's true that I provide a lot of feedback to Google and Microsoft on their desktop and mobile applications. I mean, I even list it as my current job on my LinkedIn profile. I do a lot of feedback on Google Maps, often contacting them while in frustration mode after yet another navigation failure. I sent them one yesterday: "Google Maps is not a navigation app. It's a torture app." I hope they like that one because that is exactly how I felt. I'm out here in various countries doing real-world testing and very often they come up way short. In their defense, it is not easy at all to be worldwide. Still, I push them to do better. I definitely let them know when things don't work. Consider it, I guess, as the modern equivalent of the old guy yelling at kids to "Get off my lawn!!!"

Microsoft gets plenty of feedback as well, especially regarding security hoops that make no sense outside the U.S. And I never stop picking at their To Do app, which I over-extend as a project management application, including for trip planning. I can't even remember what I sent them last because it's a constant stream. Wait a minute! It was actually a compliment on their use of standard schoolboy fonts for Thai language, which is great for usability and helps so many people successfully read in Thai. (Google, on the other hand, was vehemently criticized--again--for their use of "cool" but damn near unreadable Thai language fonts on Android and Chromebooks.)

At any rate, I have established that I provide a significant amount of feedback to Google and Microsoft. That's not the interesting part. The interesting part is the nicknames their employees use to refer to me, often based on my own words from the feedback provided. Here's a list of their most common nicknames for me below, sorted in alphabetical order because they keep adding more:

  • Beavis and/or Butthead - Maybe because Beavis and Butthead use words like dumbass a lot?

  • Billy from the Hills - Related to my use of Punky Hillbilly, someone at Google/Microsoft was apparently aware of Mr. Greg Brown's excellent tune Billy from the Hills.

  • Corn Boy - Loyal to my roots. What can I say?

  • dumbass - Probably because I overuse this word in nearly every feedback item I submit.

  • Fruitcake - They make fun of me because I'm one of a proud few who enjoy fruitcake.

  • Fumble Bumble  - I used Mr. Fumble and Bumble in one post, and now they use it against me as a term of derision.

  • Insano - Not sure where they got this one. Seems a bit harsh.

  • OCD Jerry- Multiple references in multiple posts.

  • Old Grizzled - I kind of dubbed myself Old Grizzled, and they picked up on the usage.

  • Punky - From my use of the name Punky Hillbilly, which is kind of who I am.

Those are the only nicknames they use for me that I have been able to confirm, but there are probably more. So be it. I have no intention of stopping my crusade. Websites and applications should work properly.

20220818    


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you, drivers of Thailand.

I did not imagine that I owed the drivers of Thailand a debt of gratitude. But I do. Thank you, drivers of Thailand for teaching me to accep...