20220819

KBS radio is still excellent.

I can report that KBS radio is still excellent in 2022. I went to bed at 22:00, hoping to get up early, well-rested for my noon train to Kangneung via Seoul. But I woke up hard at 03:00, and it's been me and the KBS DJs ever since. I finally gave up at 05:00, just after the national anthem to start the day, and said, "F it. I'll just play on the computer."

I thought about a lot of stuff during that two hours of lying there listening to KBS. My condolences to the families and friends of U.S. Army Captain Arthur Bonifas and 1st Lieutenant Mark Barrett, killed over a stupid argument about trimming a tree. That's probably where my Korean journey began.

Korea has excellent music. I'm not sure if it's because of their excellent music education, where so many people grow up learning to read music and play the piano. At any rate, they have loads of great singers and great musicians. It goes back decades.

And maybe one day this country will become whole again. Its separation remains an open wound. In fact, let Mr. Don Quixote do his bit: "Kim family of the northern part of Korea. I implore you to federate with the southern part of Korea now. You need each other. You'll be great together. Finally, things will back in balance in this wonderful land."

I'm not completely insane--yet. I realize that the Kim family in charge of the northern part of Korea are not likely to listen to me. Indeed, they will probably continue to be unaware of my existence. But the sentiment remains nevertheless. It really would be great for all of Korea to be Korea, not split into this crazy divorce scenario that just goes on and on generation after generation.

One can dream, can't they? Or at least one can think about a lot of things while lying in bed unable to sleep for whatever reason. If I'm to suffer from a bit of insomnia, I can think of no better way to do it than listening to KBS radio. Great music and great use of the Korean language. Consider me as a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you, drivers of Thailand.

I did not imagine that I owed the drivers of Thailand a debt of gratitude. But I do. Thank you, drivers of Thailand for teaching me to accep...