20220907

Seven chin-ups at Hwabusan: Never give up.

Remember how I marked my official scorecard as one chin-up completed? Well, that was bullshit. I was up there on Hwabusan this morning, thinking "I ought to be able to do better than that." The problem before might have been having my hands too far apart. Seven chin-ups completed today, with my hands gripping the bar just a little ways past each shoulder. 

That's not seven consecutive chin-ups. It was a set of three, a set of two, and a final set of two. It feels like there's some slight damage to the right shoulder, but nothing too serious. I'll know more tomorrow. At any rate, I'm feeling pretty good about it. I guess I could have read up on how to position my hands, but trial and error worked in the end.

There was no way I was going to fail on that seventh chin-up--at least not today. Although I was the only person physically present in the exercise equipment area, there were a whole lot of people up there with me--relatives and friends and people I knew who have gone before. They were all rooting for me, and I didn't want to let them down. 

There is and always has been something very spiritual about these Korean mountains. I pray to the 산신 / 山神 / mountain gods that there always will be.

20220907



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you, drivers of Thailand.

I did not imagine that I owed the drivers of Thailand a debt of gratitude. But I do. Thank you, drivers of Thailand for teaching me to accep...