20220825

It's the strangest thing. How could I have missed it?

You may recall a previous post about finding a laundromat. In that post, I wrote the following: They gave me great directions: "Just walk straight up there and turn right at the convenience store." I walked straight up there and straight up there some more, and there was never a convenience store.

Yesterday, having moved back to a different motel in the same area downtown, I noticed a convenience store remarkably close to the location that the students had referred to. I thought that was kind of odd, but interesting, so I turned right and walked a couple of blocks. Nothing.

Today, eager to avoid another walk across town to do laundry, I went to the nice ladies at the train station's tourist information desk. After some discussion, they produced for me an excellent map that only local people could have prepared. They even added a nice touch about a supermarket on the corner before the laundromat.

So I followed their map, which took me right to the supermarket, and just past the supermarket was the laundromat. The signage was a bit more subdued than what I consider normal, but the laundromat was there nevertheless. It was just where the motel owner told me to go. It was just where the student girls said to go. Following the principle of Occam's razor, I have no doubt that I walked right past that convenience store when I was following the students' directions on the evening of 20220820. 

And that, my friends, for better or for worse, is how I map a new town.




20220825

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you, drivers of Thailand.

I did not imagine that I owed the drivers of Thailand a debt of gratitude. But I do. Thank you, drivers of Thailand for teaching me to accep...