20220817

The Much-Beloved Fat Dog Syndrome

Veterinarians often write of the Much-Beloved Fat Dog Syndrome. These are cases where people love their dogs (and cats) so much that they feed them nearly to death. You have seen these fat dogs just like I have. You know as I do how very much these owners love their dogs (and cats).

But did you know that the Fat Dog Syndrome applies to humans as well? I know a guy who lives in a country where eating delicious food all day long is a national pastime. His partner loves him, and she feeds him all kinds of delicious foods all the time. I mean all the time. And I mean large amounts. I mean to the point that when he stops to think about it, he says he feels like The Fatted Calf. He's not complaining, mind you. Indeed, he is grateful for having someone who loves him. But still... There is a line. On one side is eating, and on the other side is gluttony and its associated obesity. To be clear, there is only one person he blames for his overeating, for following a clear path to an early death: himself.

The fat dogs (and cats) you see are going to die early. Their owner's love is, unfortunately, a sentence to an early death. Granted, these dogs may enjoy their eating greatly, but might they not also have greatly enjoyed being athletic, running and playing at their optimum physical condition? Ask the dogs, and they'll give you whatever answer you want to hear. Dogs are so agreeable. Ask my friend in another country, and he'll give you whatever answer you want to hear. Born in the Year of the Dog (1958), he is so agreeable.

Let's play ball? Nah. Maybe next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you, drivers of Thailand.

I did not imagine that I owed the drivers of Thailand a debt of gratitude. But I do. Thank you, drivers of Thailand for teaching me to accep...