20220830

안정리 / 安停里 / Anjeong-ri: Another return.

Well, I made it back one more time. One of the biggest changes is what somebody tried to explain to me in the fairly recent past, but I couldn't grasp it until I saw it with my own eyes. The main drag from the late '70s is now Anjeong-ri Rodeo Street. What was the Main Gate back in the day is now a walk-through gate leading to Rodeo Street. I saw plenty of soldiers and civilians pass through the gate on their way to lunch in the ville. There are a number of different drive-through gates now that the base has grown.

If you used to ride your bicycle around the base like I did, some of those towns no longer exist. I visited the remnants of Daechuri, site of the Daechuri Protests, probably in January 2007. It was a long, cold walk out to the remains of that town, where protesters' signs still hung. In the end, they lost--or they won. Compensation was paid out to residents, and what was Daechuri is now inside Camp Humphreys' perimeter. 

P.S. Thanks to the kind gentleman, possibly a government employee, who so kindly gave me a ride back to my hotel that late afternoon in January 2007. All of us who were there know how cold and strong The Hawk blows right through your layers there in Anjeong-ri in January.

Photos below are all from 20220817.

Still a few old school buildings remain.

The drive-through gate closest to the walk-through gate.
This is where the #20 K-6 bus drops you off.



2022 walk-through gate = late '70s main gate.

Anjeong-ri Rodeo Street


Happy Mountain (Nongseong Fortress)



Happy Mountain (Nongseong Fortress)


Another old school building still standing.

The red peppers will always be...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you, drivers of Thailand.

I did not imagine that I owed the drivers of Thailand a debt of gratitude. But I do. Thank you, drivers of Thailand for teaching me to accep...