20221128

Jingjoks: They sure do put themselves in unfortunate situations.

Disclaimer: Photos deliberately NOT provided.

This morning started with a bit of unpleasantness here in Nakhon Ratchasima. My partner found a dead jingjok (small gecko lizard) in the track of the sliding window. the one by the kitchen table. We share dirty duties depending on who is less freaked out by a particular situation. In this case, the duty fell on me.

Extracting the body of the jingkok was difficult due to the narrowness of the window track. Tweezers would have worked perfectly, but I wasn't going to pick up a days-old jingjok body (still soft) with any of our tweezers. Now that I think about it, needle-nose pliers would have worked well. Too late now.

The ants had already discovered the jingjok body, and were going about their business. Not so bad. Just ants. But what were those white things that look like grains of rice? They're moving? Oh, shit! Maggots!!! 

I finally got the jingjok body onto a paper towel using the blade of a thin box cutter. I took the body outside to its final resting place. Fortunately for me, while I was doing that, my partner went after the writhing maggots (not so many... only three or four... that I saw...). I am so glad I didn't have to do that part. 

It was a team effort. The entire area has been sanitized. Breakfast was completed. There are many and diverse creatures here--even in town. But let there be many and diverse creatures. So it must always be here on this plashy earth. This morning gives us promise of a glorious day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you, drivers of Thailand.

I did not imagine that I owed the drivers of Thailand a debt of gratitude. But I do. Thank you, drivers of Thailand for teaching me to accep...